Sunday, November 3, 2013

Because sometimes you just need a meme when you're trying to write 6 out of 7 days.

Momental Books

Write about five books that left a lasting impression from five different times of your life (or more if you've lived longer). Don't limit yourself to the "best books ever". Books can leave an impression for other reasons. This meme was inspired by A Diary of a Mad Mammy.

First Book Read to Me - I don't know the very first book that was read to me. My parents always read to me! Including The Hobbit by age 5.  (I dressed up as a "Mommy Hobbit" for my preschool Halloween party. None of my fellow preschoolers understood it, despite the fake fur glued on my flip flops.) I do remember requesting that they read Little Ballerina so often, that they finally made a tape recording of themselves reading it. (I provided the xylophone sound for when to turn the page on the recording.)

First Book I Coveted - I think I started buying my own books around the time The Babysitter's Club books came out. My Mother didn't deem them worthy and they came out so frequently that she left it up to me to decide if it was really worth $3.50 every few months.

The Teen Years - When I was a teenager, I felt like everything I read had to have meaning. I spent a lot of my teen years with Kurt Vonnegut after I'd read all the classics I was supposed to read for school.  I think I absolutely adored Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy just because of how funny it was. Intelligent and nonsensical by turns, but still very funny.

The Roaring Twenties - In my early 20s, I rarely read except for on breaks from college.  I remember one winter reading From a Far Land which only heightened my then obsession with all things Asian.  I also read everything written by Margaret Atwood one summer.   I started the Harry Potter series when I was pregnant with Benjamin and then once I was home with baby Benjamin I read Memoirs of a Geisha.  The summer I was pregnant with Nathaniel, I read everything by Mary Stewart except her most famous Crystal Cave Series. I loved all of them for different reasons.

The Thirties - Several years ago I started keeping book journals. In my 30s, I've filled up 3 journals of books that I've read and enjoyed. To pick just a few is almost impossible.  I guess the books that affected me most were Cry the Beloved Country, The Speckled Monster, The Well-Trained Mind, and Enchantment.

I'm supposed to tag people, but whatever. Life is short. Go read a book instead. ;)

No comments: