Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Afraid of Boating?


Tonight after I finished teaching piano lessons, I called down to my kids to come up from playing in the basement so we could walk over to the middle school to vote.

The boys decided to walk to a friends house instead, but Lilyanna came up the stairs willingly.  She kept telling me that she was afraid of boats.  I was confused at this but thought perhaps it was a continuation of a conversation her brothers had been having.

Still as we walked towards the school she kept telling me she didn't want to go on a boat and that she was afraid of boats.  I finally said, "But Lilyanna, we're not going on a boat, we're going to VOTE!"

And then I realized. She'd been misunderstanding me. So we stopped on the sidewalk and I had her look at my lips to see the difference in the words I was saying.  She was visibly relieved and walked happily to the school with me.

She was even happier to receive a sticker after I voted.

There would have been no sticker after boating.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That's so funny --we had a very similar conversation at our house with our 3-yr-old!