Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Of Course I Can!..."

This is what I've been doing this week!  Ever since our week long power outage 5 years ago, I've been much more enthusiastic about canning. I've learned to only can the things we will absolutely use, though. There is nothing more demoralizing than having to throw away canned goods that you devoted your time, energy, efforts and resources over.  (Apple butter and mixed berry low sugar jelly of 2005, pickled green tomatoes of 2007, to name a few.)  

My family consistently loves and uses strawberry jam, applesauce, apple pie filling, salsa, pickles, tomato juice, diced tomatoes (SO MUCH BETTER than the stuff bought from the store!) and peaches.  So that's what I focus the majority of my time and energy on. Although occasionally I will make a small batch of something new just to try it.  That's how the apple pie filling* made it in to our rotation years ago. 

Happy Harvest everyone!


*I don't use the food coloring in this recipe. Also, according to people in the know about this sort of thing, cornstarch isn't a shelf stable ingredient. However, I've never had a problem with this recipe. 

No comments: