Tuesday, November 13, 2012
10 Things Tuesday
2. I'm currently listening to "White and Nerdy" by Weird Al. Having sons has definitely expanded my knowledge of Weird Al songs.
I've been listening to a lot of Indigo Girls this week. I've neglected the "(Sometimes Angry) Women of the 90s" portion of my children's musical education. And we have a road trip coming up...
3. Todd never notices when I get my hair cut. My Dad and brother are the same way, so it doesn't really bother me, but it's good for teasing him about. (Like when I cut 12 inches off and get highlights. Really, how do you not see that??) A few years ago I started texting him from the salon to remind him that I was getting my hair done and he should remember to notice when I came home. But yesterday, he actually commented that it looked nice WITHOUT any reminder texts! I was very impressed with him! Almost 14 years of marriage and I may get him trained yet. (Granted when I later asked him what made him notice this time, he said, "It was brushed." I laughed heartily and then informed him that was not the right answer for future reference.) Bless his heart.
4. Nathaniel, Benjamin and I are signed up for the Jingle Bell Run, and Nathaniel had his first training run with me today. He did great! Benjamin is so crazy busy, we'll just hope all the dancing he does every week is enough training for him to run a 5k in a couple of weeks.
5. Last night at belly dancing class I learned a very cool new move. It was a move I had seen my hip-hopping sons do very often in their dance classes and figured people either could move that way or couldn't. I put myself in the latter category. Anyway, our fabulous teacher taught me how to move like that. When Benjamin got home from school today, he started randomly doing the move. The following happened:
Me: HEY! I know how to do that now!!
Him: [Unimpressed] Yeah? Me, too.
Me: Yeah, but when I do it, I'm even MORE awesome because I jingle! (Thanks to the hip scarf I wear during class.)
Him: [Doing the move again and in a total deadpan face and voice] Ding a ling a ling.
I was amused.
6. Nathaniel was cast in the rec center's play of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" as the Dad. He's been practicing putting on fake mustaches ever since.
7. I love the Lend/Freecycle Facebook group that we have going on in our neighborhood. I've been able to pass things on as well as get all manner of helpful things for Lilyanna.
I also love all the many great second hand places we have in our area. In the past couple of days I have sold things to Half Price Books, Clothes Mentor, and Once Upon a Child. Whatever those places don't take (which is most of the clothing) I then pass on to a charity.
8. Lilyanna is soooo much more pleasant if she gets a nap on her school day. I'm so much more pleasant, too, but as naps for her only happen in the car, I have to stay awake to drive. ;)
9. I had a REVELATION when having lunch at Northstar yesterday with some fabulous ladies. The whole gluten free thing makes eating out a lot less fun. Yesterday, I found a dish that had all the flavors I wanted, but it was a wrap. When I ordered, I quickly asked if they could just put it all in a bowl instead and swap out the tortilla chips that usually come with it for my beloved sweet potato fries with garlic, sea salt and rosemary AND THEY DID! Sheer bliss, I tell you! It's the little things, people.
10. Right now they're talking about another Nor'easter hitting NJ for Thanksgiving. Srsly, has my home state not suffered enough??