Monday, August 4, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nathaniel!!

Nathaniel turned six today! This day was way more fun than the day he was born. We had a fun dinner party with grandparent, aunts, uncles, cousins, and Great Grandma Bradshaw, too! There was pizza and cake and a treasure hunt and a new webkinz! All sorts of fun!

The day he was born we were each able to hold him once and then he was whisked away and we were barely allowed to touch him for the next ten days. And then for months afterwards it was many tears and prayers and doctor appointments as we waited to learn what was making him so sick. All I can say is that I am so grateful that God inspired man to create such wonderful tests and treatments and medicines. Six years later you'd never know that he was once a very sick baby boy.

A few favorite things about Nathaniel:

1. His lisp. It's adorable. I can't help being undone by it whenever he speaks. (He lost his first tooth on Saturday and his second one today, so the lisp is even more pronounced!)

2. Nathaniel is able to encapsulate very big ideas into fabulous one-liners. He gets this ability from Todd. Personally, I'm all for using twenty words where only two are required.

3. I love how sensitive he is to other people raising their voices. We all use softer voices because of Nathaniel.

4. Nathaniel is unabashedly enthusiastic about things. And unapologetic about disliking things. We all know where Nathaniel stands at all times.

5. He makes me laugh a lot. I have a feeling that really Nathaniel is too cool to belong to Todd and me.

6. Nathaniel still has wonderful, kissable cheeks. And he lets me kiss them almost whenever I want to.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Happy Birthday to your 6-year-old boy! I can't imagine how hard that must have been to have him go through all those difficult months in the beginning. So glad he's doing so well now.