Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kale

We do Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, we buy a share in a farm and we get a share of whatever grows each week. We did a co-op back in NJ, but I really enjoy the CSA better. Spring in Ohio means lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots?) of greens come in our share each week. Every lettuce imaginable and all sorts of other good leafy greens. Coming up with new and exciting things to do with all of the greens week after week can sometimes be exhausting, so the farm is nice enough to send out an email with ideas each week.

Here's a tip from the most recent email:

Cut the kale into thin strips, and put your choice of dressing on it, then massage it! Five minutes is all it takes, and the process softens it up so you can easily eat it raw. If you want to add anything else to the salad (shredded turnips or radishes, pickled beets, gorgonzola,etc.) do it AFTER the massage. Enjoy!

I confess that I was amused at the idea of massaging my kale before eating it. When I mentioned this to Todd, I said something like, "Massage Kale for five minutes?! Why would I do such a thing?!"

Todd smirked and said, "Well, I could imagine you would if it were a hot guy and his name were Kale."

It's a fair point. ;)




4 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Very funny. I've never really come to like kale, so you'll have to let me know how the massaging works for improving its texture.

Cynthia Gallaher said...

I'll have to try the massage trick. I never liked kale raw, even though highly encouraged to have it in salads because it is so healthy. Then I discovered steamed kale, which I then lightly saute with garlic, onions and sesame seeds. Wonderful hot veggie side dish!

Emilia said...

Lately, I've been stir frying the kale with garlic scapes and scallions in a little bit of olive oil and seasoned with soy sauce and a pinch of brown sugar.

Mmmm. It's yummy...and requires no massaging. Seriously, if I'm going to massage anything, it'll be my husband...or that hot guy named Kale.

Jessica said...

C'mon, you've got to try massaging the kale. I can just picture you with a far-away look in your eyes and your hands in a bowl of kale.