Sunday, May 11, 2008

A weekend in NJ

Last weekend I went to NJ for my 10 year college reunion. The weekend was less about college and more about playing with all of my friends. My sweet and amazing husband took a day off from work and then played with the kids all weekend. (THANK YOU, TODD!!!) I went last year to play with the same group of friends and when I came home, realized that "then me" didn't need to be so very different from "now me". That I could marry the two pieces of me and end up with something that made me feel more satisfied with who I am. Enough with the psycho babble. Onto the adventures!

Anyway, so I kissed my babies and hubby goodbye Friday morning and set off to the airport. When we landed in Newark, I was immediately off the plane and without consciously realizing that I don't do this anymore, totally sped past everyone in that unapologetic way that we busy metro easterners have. You can totally tell who's from out of town by this one characteristic. In Ohio, if I barely bump someone while passing them, we stop and have a conversation after I profusely apologize. In the Newark Airport, you use elbows and refrain from any eye contact. And I slid right back into my less civil ways like they were a comfy glove I'd lost. (Don't worry, I left the glove back in Jersey where it belongs.)

My sister in law picked me up from the airport so I could have a chance to catch up with her and Todd's brother and play with my adorable niece and nephew. I apparently am a rotten aunt, because I took no pictures of this event. I was too busy trying to keep my sports minded nephew from bouncing the baseball off of my face when he pitched it to me. I had the bat, but was predictably useless with it. Baseball aside, I bribed him successfully with cheese and cookies, so we're all good with each other.

That afternoon my dear friend, Mark, picked me up so we could head down to our hotel in Princeton. We were met there by Dr. Dan (now he's an ER doctor in NYC, but we've always referred to him as Dr. Dan) and Shari. Silliness immediately commenced. Secure in the knowledge that there was both an ER doctor in the room AND that I had no children for whom to set an example, I immediately started jumping on the beds. Some things just never stop being fun! Here's Dan and I and the beds in a blurry action shot:


After settling in a bit, Mark gave us a tutorial on ice jumps. (He's a music teacher, who doesn't do any of these jumps on ice.) It's kind of a long clip, but watch the first minute to get an idea of the silliness.

A frequent musing throughout the weekend was: "If we were this silly in our twenties, and we're this silly in our thirties, are we still going to be this silly in our forties?" I'm leaning towards a yes on that. Especially because of this video from the next morning:



That, btw, is my skirt Chris Ian is wearing. He also looks way better in woman's yoga pants than I do. Completely unfair.

Stay tuned for the next installment in which we speak to bronze statues, perform with the class of 1958, and go clubbing...

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Sounds like a great weekend, friend. I really cannot imagine that age will change your fun, silly personality.