Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Goldfish!! The Musical

I was a voice major once upon a time. People were often surprised to learn that voice was my concentration and not an instrument. When they would ask why I thought that was, I replied, "It's because I don't walk around thinking life is a musical." I said it scornfully. Like everything else in life, it has come back to haunt me.

I have a mild obsession with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was particularly thrilled by the fact that there was a musical episode. I walked around singing it all the time so for Christmas Todd and the boys gave me the soundtrack.

My sons can sing and act out every single scene now. And do. A lot. In fact while I was mowing the lawn today, Nathaniel and Caleb insisted that I sing all the girl parts and they sing the boy parts. Caleb always plays the part of the demon. (Typecasting, anyone?!)

Benjamin plays the part of the moody vampire who's in love with Buffy. (See above comment.)

And Nathaniel plays all other male rolls.

Two nights ago at dinner, Caleb reenacted this entire scene singing every part with his Goldfish crackers. He made them dance appropriately. Which is amazing when one considers the inflexibility of goldfish crackers. At the end, he took a bow, crushed them all into a pile of crumbs and then slurped them off the table. (I've directed shows before. I completely understand the impulse to do that to the cast.)

If you watch the whole thing, you will note that the moody vampire, Spike, sings the infamous "B" word. After the "B" word incident, we discussed with all boys that "witch" is an acceptable substitution. But more about our boys and their language later. For now, enjoy campy TV musicals!


1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Love Caleb's creativity with goldfish.