Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Memorium

I blogged earlier in the week about the death of a good friend. I found this article which was a nice commemoration of him. Love you, Jim.


Teacher's death 'tough time' for New Smyrna community


DAYTONA BEACH -- His life never moved any direction but forward.


Disanza

James Disanza, 61, of Port Orange -- a popular New Smyrna Beach Middle School physical education teacher -- died at 12:29 p.m. Saturday, two hours after he was taken off life support. He had been in critical condition with a serious brain injury since his bicycle was hit by a car Monday evening on the Dr. Martin Luther King overpass at Lytle Avenue, said family friend Tom Rosen.

His wife, Carmella, and son Vinnie were by his side, as well as his brother, sister and a niece, Vinnie Disanza said.

"He went straight up and then straight off the cliff," Vinnie Disanza of California said Saturday evening. "He was the perfect example of how to live life, and he's where he's supposed to be right now."

Neighborhood kids knew him as Mr. Jim the bicycle mechanic, his son said.

"He was a very generous person -- generous with his time," Vinnie Disanza said. "He would fix a bike for a kid or help with your plumbing. Anything he could do (for another), he did."

An avid bicycle rider, James Disanza was in perfect health, his son said, and in keeping with his generous nature, an organ donor.

"He did so many things for so many people," Rosen said. "I cannot say enough good things about him. He touched a lot of lives."

Vinnie Disanza said his father was an ideal American citizen: a soldier, a teacher, an Eagle Scout. He also was a power-lifter in college, a black belt in karate, and a certified scuba diver. In short, he did everything he set his mind to do.

"He was a tank commander, a retired lieutenant colonel with the National Guard, and he taught school in New Jersey for 27 years (10 in New Smyrna Beach)," his son said. "In New Jersey, it was not uncommon for him to drive to school in a military Humvee. He was always prepared."

His son remembers cutting his finger badly while on a hiking trip in upstate New York his senior year in high school.

"No one wanted to stop the trip short, so Dad just pulled out some sutures and stitched me up," Vinnie Disanza said. "That's just the way he was."

Hiking is just one of the interests James Disanza shared with the Scouts in Troop 454 in New Smyrna Beach.

"Last summer he took our older boys on a trip to hike the Appalachian Trail," said Steve Henderson of Port Orange. "They hiked 28 miles in the mountains in five days. He decided the boys needed a different type of experience (than what they could get in Florida, which he referred to as "paradise"), and took them."

Henderson said his friend of five years had a knack for "making things happen."

The thing James Disanza made happen most was helping children he knew become successful themselves.

"He wanted these kids to take responsibility for their actions and to act for themselves," Henderson said. "And, he would give them a lot of opportunity to make their own plans."

It was that way at school, too.

"I cannot believe the number of e-mails I've gotten from students at New Smyrna Beach High School, parents, parents of elementary school children whose older brothers or sisters had Jim and who were looking forward to having him, too," New Smyrna Beach Middle School Principal Jim Tager said. "He was a fabulous, caring person who did all sorts of things behind the scenes."

The benefit of a close-knit school like New Smyrna Beach Middle School can also be its hardship, Tager said.

"This is really a tough time for us," the principal said. "Our faculty and staff are like family, and when something like this happens it is very hard."

Tager will tell the students of their beloved teacher's death Monday.

"We've told the kids his condition wasn't very hopeful," Tager said. "It will be very emotional."

According to police, Disanza was riding west on the overpass with co-workers about 6:20 p.m. Monday when he switched lanes for an unknown reason, possibly not seeing the car behind him.

"At the time, he was teaching them drafting (one rider blocking the wind for another) and proper shifting," Vinnie Disanza said. "He was always sharing his knowledge with other people, and Dad was great to draft because he was so huge. The accident was a combination of his poor hearing because of all the tanks and combat, and because of the steep hill. I'm sure he looked and didn't see the car until it crested."

==================================================================

On a side note, I was one of the people who was on that backpacking trip in upstate NY when Jim pulled out the needle and thread to do Vinny's finger. It was a wonderful trip. Many of my favorite memories come from that trip. And apparently, some of Jim's did also.

Here is the conversation that Jim and I had last summer as he told me about that Appalachian back packing trip he took some boys on last year.

Jim: So I'm scout leader down here in FL, and my boys had never gone on a backpacking trip. To get them interested in the idea, I told them all about you.
Me: Why me?
Jim: Well, I used the example of the backpacking trip that you and my son organized for the Adirondacks in the summer of '93.
Me: (hesitantly) What exactly did you tell them?
Jim: I just told them about the girl who backpacked for a few hours and when she came to a beautiful dam in the river, took one look at it and said, "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going swimming right now." And proceeded to throw down her backpack and strip down to her underwear and jump in.
Me: Jim!!! You've known me my whole life...and this is the story you tell people about me?
Jim: Well, it did the trick. They were a lot more interested in learning about backpacking after that!


7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Oh, friend, I had not heard about Brother D.'s passing. It is so sad. I have such fond memories of him. He was always so kind to me. That story of you swimming is a classic. Love you.

Kathleen Ann Bianco said...

James Disanza, my cousin, was always there for me althoguh the miles separated us. I could call and he ws there to ease my stress. He cared for everyone and his love for life and family was immeasurable. I think and dream of him often. He is always with me in my thoughts and my life is so saddened with his passing. A part of me has died right along with him. I miss you Jimmy so much.

Cousin Kathleen

Todd said...

I was one of the many soldiers that served under LTC D and I can attest to the fact of his mentorship, professionalism, patriotism and leadership was unmatched and exemplary. Many soldiers and leaders alike looked up to him and his effect lives on today thru us. He was one of the few great commanders that I would eagerly follow into battle, but as CPT Disanza once said in my presence to someone "The soldier is the last one wanting to go to war, but we will do what our duty requires of us."

Jennifer Cox said...

I think of him often and remember his kindness, generosity, and compassion to everyone and the fact that he loved to play Christmas music in July. He was a mentor and at times like a "dad" to me. He helped me through some really rough years. He showed me what to look for in a husband. I remember a particular hiking trip in 1990 on the Appalachian Mtns. that was pretty fun myself. I am glad you posted this. Will the example he set and the memories we have of him always be with us.

Kathleen Ann Bianco said...

The anniversary of Jimmy's death just occurred....years already. He is still so unforgettable, so dear to me...sometimes when I think of him I close my eyes and I can picture myself running to him to capture that famous "bear hug" that he so willingly offered. Gosh, I find myself so many times asking "why" but then I know that it is not for us to question...Jimmy would have said that. And so, I repeat..."Jimmy, my cousin, I miss you...please look down upon me and keep me strong. Cousin Kathleen

Kathleen Ann Bianco said...

I was just up at your Mom's house, my Aunt Kay....she keeps your picture taken in 2006 on the refrigerator...i always give it a kiss when I come in. I still miss you so very much....I still speak to you when I need some strength...I am hoping you hear me....for all of the rest of my life I shall always miss you. ilove you Cousin.

Thomas Caffrey said...

I am writing a book with a friend of mine, about boys and virtuous, heroic manhood. One of the chapters is about sex and sexuality, and I open it up by recalling a scene in which Mr "D" is about to begin the first class in sex education. He was my teacher in South Orange Jr H.S. It was special, and so was he. While researching for the chapter I decided to search for my former teacher, and was saddened to learn of his death. My condolences to his family. Does anyone know how I might get in touch with his wife and son? Tom Caffrey