Sunday, July 5, 2015

Conversations with the Smiths- Part 4

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with having all my kids home for the summer. On the one hand, it's a lot of fun to be together...mostly. We end up enjoying one another's company more than we're able to during the hustle and bustle of the school year. There is time to make music together, cook together and play together. On the other hand there is also time to get on one another's nerves.

Constant exposure to the humor of males ages 11, 12, and 15 means that my own juvenile sense of humor is even worse than usual in the summer.

Two conversations to highlight this point.

Have you ever seen this toy?


My family got addicted to it during our last visit to California, so we gifted Todd with it for Father's Day. (He was the most addicted.) It's a puzzle that is bizarrely difficult for something sold in a toy section of stores. Anyway, since it's summer and we have time, all the kids have been working with it. Benjamin when the ball drops out of the maze making it so he has to start all over again responds the frustration by banging his forehead on the ball. Leading to this discussion:

Todd: Guys, time for scriptures and prayers!

Me: Why is the ball all wet?

Todd: I wiped it off before since it was kind of dirty.

Benjamin: From my greasy forehead.

Me: Why?

Nathaniel: Benjamin has a problem with sticking his forehead on balls.

[silence]

Me and Todd: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Todd: [getting himself in control] Okay. Does everyone have scriptures?

Me: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Benjamin: Oh my gosh, Mom! You are so immature!

Nathaniel: I didn't actually mean it that way [though looking smug that I'm still laughing]

Me: [Wiping the tears from my face and still unable to stop laughing]

Todd: [Only slightly exasperated at trying to reel the other adult in the room back in] Emilia, why don't you read first?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watermelon is one of my favorite things about summer. I routinely chop a melon in half and just eat that with a spoon for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Benjamin has been giving me a run for my money this summer though, and will often steal the other half of the watermelon from me.

Half Dollar Hot Dog Night is one of my other favorite things about summer. And while it is lovely to have cheap hot dogs and drinks at the pool every Tuesday, I like to take some fruit to help round out the meal a bit.

The other day as we were getting ready to go to the pool, I asked Benjamin for help.

Me: Here, take this tool and grab a tupperware and scoop out enough watermelon for us tonight.

Benjamin: [Taking one look at the melon ball tool and then the watermelon, then adopting his best surfer boy accent] Dude. Ballin'!

-------------------------------------------------
There are way too many jokes about balls going on this summer. Lilyanna and I and our delicate feminine natures may be forever scarred. ;)

No comments: