Wednesday, December 19, 2012

In Want of a Good Book?

I just finished reading "Flunking Sainthood" by Jana Riess.  I knew Jana when I was a stupid college freshman and she was an incredibly intelligent, kind, wonderful woman who had just graduated from the Princeton Theological Seminary and was teaching Hebrew.  We were both attending the local LDS congregation in Princeton, NJ.

 I loved reading this. It helped me feel a renewed hope in a time of emotional/physical/spiritual slump. I remember Jana as being absurdly kind to me at a time in my life when I was immature and making stupid decisions and saying ridiculous things. So, when she talks about being unkind and selfish, it clashes with what she portrayed in her treatment of me. I guess all of us have a bit of meanness within, but if we can put that aside to treat others around us with love, I guess that's all part of the journey, right?



No comments: