Sunday, February 5, 2012

National Treasure

The other night we watched the movie "National Treasure" as a family.  We've seen the movie a few times before, but it's one that we all enjoy.  At one point Caleb remarked, "Do the people who made these movies just come into our house, look at our scrapbooks and then decide where to make a movie??"

Since "National Treasure" has scenes from Washington D.C., New York City, and Philadelphia, I can see his point.  (And National Treasure 2 takes place out west where we've been, too.) 

These pictures were taken just a few weeks ago.  For Todd's birthday I bought him tickets to see the revival of Sondheim's "Follies" on Broadway.  I told the family we were going out of town, but didn't tell them where we were going or what we would be doing.  We went to Philadelphia first for two reasons.  First, as a decoy.  Any time we head east of Ohio, they automatically assume we're going to NJ.  They weren't wrong this time, but I didn't want them to know that until the end of the night.  Second, Caleb has been studying Colonial History this year, and has been asking to go to D.C. and Philadelphia.  So, it was a little surprise for him as well.
In front of the Liberty Bell.  Security is WAAAY tighter now than it was on  the field trips of my youth.



Independence Hall



Upstairs where many American soldiers wintered and died during the Revolutionary War.



With a Statue of a guy named "Barry" who I'm sure is famous for something, though I can't remember now, and was too cold to properly read the sign while there.  

Following this outing, we headed over to the City Tavern for dinner.  The menu and ambiance is strictly Colonial period.  Caleb and I discovered just how tricky it would have been to be gluten free in Colonial times and Benjamin ate rabbit.

Once everyone's tummies were full, we piled back in the car and headed up to NJ, so Todd's parents could babysit kids and I could take my husband into the city for dinner and a show.  

Memorable moments of the trip: driving through a blizzard in eastern Ohio/western PA, and Lilyanna wetting both Todd and me on separate occasions.  



2 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like a lovely trip all around, but I am especially envious of seeing Follies. Bob and I rarely get to New York any more for any show, and I adore Sondheim. I hope you had a great time!!!

Emilia said...

We flew to NYC a couple of years ago for the revival of A Little Night Music, too. It's becoming a thing with us. Now I just need for them to revive Merrily We Roll Along, though, I'll take any of his shows.