Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vote!


Nathaniel and I went downtown this morning to vote early.  We stood in line for an hour, but the mood was festive.  Nathaniel was pretty thrilled that there was a concession stand and even scored a bag of popcorn to munch on while standing in line.  

This was the first time in a really long time that I had to fill out a paper ballot.  In my town, we have machines. The last three years they've been the touchscreen ones.  I like those.  Apparently, the city isn't there yet.

Todd and I are a political house divided, but we navigate our differences just fine.  The children, however, side with me politically.  Probably because they are around me more.  Nathaniel and I had this conversation as I was filling out my ballot.

N: Mom, did you vote for Barack Obama?
Me: Yes, honey.
N: Then why are you still doing this?
Me: Because I have to vote for other people too, and the issues.
N: But you voted for Barack?
Me: Yes.  Shh.
N: You're sure?
Me: Yes.  Shh.
N: Is everybody else voting for him?
Me: I don't know.  Shh.
N: You're sure you filled in the oval next to his name and you didn't accidentally fill in the one next to McCain's?
Me: YES!  SHHHHHHH.
N: I'm bored.  Can we go now since you already voted for Barack?

On the way out, Nathaniel beguiled the news people and gave a little report about how l-o-n-g it took to vote.  Thank you Mr. Cameraman and Mr. Reporter.  I don't usually watch the news, but I'll tune into yours once or twice during sweeps just to say "thanks".
Tip: if you plan on spending an hour in line with a six year old, don't forget the Gameboy.  It was far more pleasant this way than it would have been otherwise.

Question:  Why do we elect county coroners?  Can there really be more than one person who wants that job?  And how could politics get in the way?  Does a Republican coroner do things differently than a Democrat coroner?  Why don't they ever have a county coroner's debate?  I can guarantee that I would listen to that one!

2 comments:

joan said...

A coroner's debate!! I'd be first in line.

Emilia said...

Second in line, thank you very much.