Friday, June 13, 2008

Beach Memories

The surf was rougher today than it has been all week, but Benjamin and I had lots of fun playing in the waves. He kept jumping on my back every time a big wave came, which reminded me of this story from a beach trip 10 years ago. My darling friend Mark, whom my children now refer to as Uncle Mark, and I went to Seagirt with a my roommate and one of her friends. This was the story that I told Benjamin of that long ago trip:

Mark said, "Emilia, let's be pirates. I get to be Columbus." To which I replied in a perplexed tone, "but Mark, Columbus wasn't a pirate...he was an explorer!" Ignoring me, he said, "I will be Columbus and you will be my Santa Maria, so I can ride you". At which point he jumped on my back and clung as tight as possible just as a large wave was coming. Unable to hold us both above water, we got mouthfuls of the wave. Disgusted, he climbed off and said, "I must have mistaken you for the Pinta. She sank, you know."

Benjamin found this story all sorts of funny and didn't stop laughing until a wave hit him full in the face. (Which I must admit made me giggle...just a little bit.)

No comments: