Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cursive Confessions

I will freely admit that penmanship has never been my best subject. My 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Ciesla, patiently despaired of my handwriting. My 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Suchar, nearly wore herself out telling me to "turn the paper a bit more and anchor it with your other hand."

All I can say is: Viva la keyboard!!

Benjamin's teacher asked him on the first day of school to share why he was excited about 2nd grade. "I am most excited about learning to write in cursive," was his reply.

The other day he asked me how to make a capital cursive "I". I picked up my pen and drew an...s. I scribbled it out and tried again. Only to come up with another s. By the sixth time I had it. But I realized that I have forgotten, through lack of use since I started using my cursive/printing hybrid handwriting, how to write capital cursive "I" and "Q".

You don't suppose there's any hidden meaning there, do you?

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Your posts are definitely evidence that your IQ is doing quite well still. I noticed that I too had forgotten several of the uppercase cursive letters when I worked with Taylor on cursive writing. And then what's more confusing, is here in Texas, they use the D'Nealian style of writing, which is different than the traditional.

Beth said...

I enjoyed the Viva la reference. Viva on baby, viva on.

Marcia Mickelson said...

I don't think anyone uses cursive I's anymore. Even when I write in cursive, I still print the I's.

Oh, and can I say, I hate D'Nealian.

Also, I tagged you on my blog. You have to write 7 wacky & wild things about yourself. Come over and see.