Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ugh.

Well, I did it. I finally got myself all registered for the Bank of America Capital City Half Marathon. (Couldn't they come up with a shorter name?)

I am walking. Not running. I could run just fine until I had babies. I swear my hip sockets permanently relocated sometime after baby #2. It took several months after baby #3 before I could even walk normally again.

I've been training for this for weeks. I do short walks through the week and then a long walk on Saturday. Six miles was fine. Seven miles was awful. I'll let you know how eight miles goes.

I am excited and scared. Excited because I've always wanted to do something like this and will finally be able to check this off my list of things to do before I die. Scared because...hello? walking 13.1 miles in whatever kind of weather happens to blow our way. Am I completely crazy?!

I have a few consolations in this. First of all, I'm good at endurance. I always have been. Hand me a big ol' backpack and a trail and point me towards a campsite, and I can hike for 13 miles no problem. (Except I get to stop and rest and eat and go however fast or slow I want to go.)

My second consolation is that I am not alone in my insanity. My friends Beth and Trish have also undertaken this adventure. All three of us may need to be wheeled into church on Sunday, April 13, but we'll feel proud of our accomplishment!

5 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Impressive! Glad you will have friends to join you. You are clearly getting yourself in great shape. I would be dying after the third mile.

Beth said...

We can do this. I know we can. At least I am pretty sure we can. Can't we?

Emilia said...

Yes, of course we can. As soon as I figure out a way to not have to pee every hour. Are there port-a-johns along the route?

Marcia Mickelson said...

Wow. That is impressive. you can do it! Good luck.

Jessica said...

I think that is so cool that you guys are going to do that. Awesome!