Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spiders

A few minutes ago, Nathaniel called out, "Mom, there's a spider where we're playing!"

I am anti killing spiders. If they are in my way, I will scoop them up and put them outside. If they're not in my way, I'm happy to let them eat all the other bugs. I had a symbiotic relationship with a spider back in our NJ dining room. She had a fantastic web in the corner that I only knocked down when company was coming. One day I walked into the dining room and it looked like there was a cheerio suspended from midair. It turned out it was just caught in her web, but it was cool to look at.

So, I gave Nathaniel the useful advice of , "Say 'hello' to the spider."

Nathaniel said as if he were speaking to a person, "Hello, spider. You are kind of in my space right now. We are playing here."

It made me giggle. I giggled even more when a few minutes later Nathaniel said, "Mom! The spider is still in my space!! He's really bugging me!" Then he realized what he'd just said and continued, "Haha! Get it?! Bugging me?!"

I like that my children have learned from me to not automatically kill bugs on sight. I like even more that they have learned to appreciate a good pun and a groan-worthy joke.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I don't think anyone could live in your house without developing a great sense of humor. I am very impressed that you don't kill bugs. Jared is always very kind to them. Me, not very at all.

Beth said...

We have a different kind of philosophy in our house, the only good spider is a dead spider and the only good bug is a dead bug. However, if the bug or spider is too big to squish easily, then it is captured and set free. I haven't found any for a while and so they must be on to me and hiding more creatively.