Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Scrappy Doo

Our children are method actors. When they pretend, they do not just put on a costume, they literally become that person. Nathaniel was various characters from Bob the Builder for nearly a year. He got over it just as I was beginning to wonder if help was needed.

Caleb is sick right now. Just a fever and bad headache. But, he refuses to be sick. Instead, he cuddles up to me and says, "Scrappy Doo sometimes gets headaches, Mommy Kitty." (That's me, btw. I am the Mommy Kitty.) When Caleb gets a fever, he also babbles without pause until we literally clamp a hand over his mouth. It's like the high temperature flips off a switch to his mouth. He talked for an hour and a half last night about Scooby Doo. His fever was gone this morning, but tonight at dinner, he started talking again about Scooby Doo non-stop. So, I snatched the thermometer, took his temperature, and sure enough: Fever!

I asked Todd if that's one of my symptoms when I'm sick, since Caleb is like me in so many other ways. Typically, he didn't know, but he promises to pay attention next time. After almost nine years of marriage, though, he can usually spot when I cut my hair. Granted, I usually cut off 12 inches at a time...

No comments: