Monday, December 30, 2013

I have only myself to blame...

Benjamin plays trombone in band but walks all over the house banging on everything with drumsticks.  Nathaniel actually plays percussion, but has no interest in playing a drum set.  He likes the geekier percussion instruments and specifically asked for a triangle for home so he could "work on triangle technique". 

 Okay, I was a music major.  I played (badly) in drumline in marching band in high school.  I had to take a whole percussion class in college.  And I once played the triangle in a community orchestra concert. (They needed one more percussion player, and I wasn't helping the violins all that much anyway, so nobody complained when I volunteered.)  However, with all that in mind, when he mentioned working on playing the triangle, I just looked at him and said, "There's a technique for triangle??"  Then he looked at me with a withering stare that says, "Ugh, why don't my parents know anything??"  And we moved on.

The point of me telling you this is that I decided to give Benjamin a digital drum set for Christmas.  I did not give him an amp, so I'm at least a little bit intelligent.  It's blessedly quiet and if he starts banging on the furniture with drum sticks, I can send him to his drum set.  He was thrilled with the gift.

I gave Nathaniel a triangle.  He was equally thrilled.  

Blessed weirdos.



I

No comments: