Sunday, July 12, 2009

my BABY!

Today Benjamin and Todd are en route to Salt Lake City, where Todd will head down to Utah valley to hang out with relatives, and Benjamin will head up to Wyoming to go on a dinosaur dig. I dropped them off at the airport right after church. The whole time we were driving towards the airport, all I could think was, "I'm sending my BABY out in to the cold world without me. He'll practically be all alone!!"

I voiced this out loud to Todd, who gave me a look. I realize intellectually that Todd is a far more consciencious parent than I am in many respects and that Benjamin will be fine first in his care and then in the care of my own parents this week, but a mother's heart does not regard these things in quite the same way. It's not ME.

Heaven forbid my kids actually be able to function without me! Oh. Except that's really what I've been spending the last nine years of his life trying to get him to do.

Ugh. This parenthood thing is so confusing.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

When your birds leave the nest, and can fly, then you know you've done good kid!