Monday, May 18, 2009

Musical Monday

When I was teaching 6th grade general music, the unit on opera and operetta was my favorite. Every six weeks, with a new group of 6th graders, I showed "The Pirates of Penzance" in my class and we could discuss operetta, singing, theater, adapting musicals for film, etc. And it was a lot of fun to have a bunch of 12 year olds wander around the school for a few days humming Gilbert and Sullivan in the halls.

Modern Major General is probably the most well known song from the operetta. If you want to borrow the movie, I own it. But I definitely recommend seeing it on stage next time it comes to town. (This has been a favorite movie of my kids since Benjamin was about 3 years old, so it knows no age limit.)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I can't believe I haven't seen this. A young Kevin Kline? Too fun, I must borrow this sometime.

Emilia said...

He is WONDERFUL in it! In fact, I really wanted to post one of his solo clips, but there was no copy of it on youtube. grrr. Where are the people to infringe the copyrights when you need them?!

Dee said...

We performed this play in high school. I was one of the girls in long dresses and hats. Lot's of fun.