Thursday, October 23, 2008

Harvesting


This was the last of the bounty from my garden for the season.  I had no idea that Italian Parsley was so wonderfully hardy!  Since I always need it for my enormous batches of tomato sauce, I grew some this year.  It was so prolific throughout the entire growing season, that I think I'm set until next year!  I love not having to try to find fresh herbs at the grocery store in the middle of winter.

I harvested some broccoli the other day, but didn't take a picture, because I managed to completely cover myself and the kitchen in dirt during the experience.

And then there are my green tomatoes.  Last year I had so many I made pickled green tomatoes which was one of my favorite things to eat when I worked at the Princetonian Diner in college.  The ones I made were considerably spicier, and it has taken me most of this year to come up with things to do with them.  They are great tossed into guacamole, like you would a tomatillo.  And they are also yummy as a fried green tomato. 

With this year's crop, I'm skipping the pickling and just going straight for the fried.  It's so rare that I fry things that this is a special treat...which probably nobody in my family will actually eat.

Any other great green tomato recipes out there?

2 comments:

Trish said...

Emilia,
I had no idea there were so many recipes. Check out this link.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=green+tomatoes&fnSearchType=site

Emilia said...

Thanks, Trish! I am going to try a green tomato cake this weekend. That much butter and sugar, how could anything taste bad?