Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy Gardening surprises...


Our first Spring in Ohio was 3 years ago. Since the soil composition is different here, I wasn't sure what would grow and what wouldn't. That first spring I bought a bunch of different things just to see what would take and what wouldn't. I whimsically bought some asparagus crowns just to see what would happen. I had read in a gardening book pages of instructions for dealing with asparagus. And then I read in another gardening book to just throw them in the ground and wait. The latter is my kind of gardening, so I went with it, not knowing what would happen. I planted my crowns in different places all over the yard, just to see which soil/sun combination would work best.

And then I forgot about them.

Until this year!!! I was digging up some creeping phlox for a friend when she said, "Hey, look, you have asparagus!"

And sure enough, there were 3 spears of asparagus practically buried by weeds! I cut them and made them for dinner that night. We get more every week. In celebration, I ordered 30 crowns and made a special box for them.

Now, I just have to wait three more years for them to be edible.

I made Todd promise me that we would stay for at least three years when we first moved here. I wonder if I could convince him that a whole bed of asparagus is worth three more years.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Love the idea for strawberry slicing. I do hope you get to stay in Ohio for at least 3 more years. Asparagus is such a great vegetable.