Monday, April 14, 2008

IRS

Internal Revenue -J. Allyn Rosser

I have distracted rodents from their cheese,
Lured seasoned sirens with my melodies,
And brought some handsome statues to their knees.
I could not beguile you.

Having faced your shoulder, back and heel,
Borne the tread marks of your fortune’s wheel,
Felt your indifference to what I feel,
My heart would not revile you.

Now I’ve shelved abiding passions, thrust
My childish cares aside, arranged my lusts:
Real property, silent partners, trusts.
-I don’t know where to file you.


I love this poem. I post it every year around tax time, but really it's so very relevant. I think it applies to at least one person in our lives. That person or people with whom things are unfinished or unrequited or just couldn't ever end satisfactorily. Where do you put all those leftover feelings that no longer have an obvious place in your life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

File feelings in a journal....that's what I've done for over 40 years. Luckily, no one audits those!