Saturday, April 12, 2008

Check!

So today I earned a check mark for my list of things to do before I die.

"Train for and complete an organized race."

CHECK!!!!

Today was the half marathon. I did it with my friends Beth and Trish who I would just like to say were fabulous buddies to be with. Here we are this morning before the race:

This was before we got all tired and sweaty and gross. Just after posing for this picture, we piled in the car and headed downtown where we parked illegally in the very full parking lot (thank you for the parking chutzpa, Trish!) and headed to the start line.

I have to say that being packed in at the starting line is a lot of fun. There's just so much energy and anticipation there. People were cheering, music was blaring, the guy who yells "Go" was blathering in the background. It was exciting to be there. Although, it's a little anti-climactic when the guy finally does yell "Go" and you are stuck behind so many people that it takes three minutes just to cross the starting line. Speaking of which:


We walked fast enough that miles 8 through 10 completely sucked. And fast enough that even though we started last, we weren't last to finish. Our main goal was to get through it all before they closed down the track exactly 4 hours from the start time.

We made it well before the track closed, so we needn't have worried. At mile 10, after two miles of hating it and slowing down a little, Trish pulled out her iPod that her hubby had gotten for her and totally got in the zone with a little Aerosmith to move her along. She booked those last three miles! Beth and I had to run a few different times just to catch up with her! (You ROCK, Trish!)
The worst part of the half marathon was that stinkin' "point 1 mile". Couldn't we just make it an even 13? The .1 just seemed cruel.

The best part was crossing the finish line to cheers and free stuff. (Hobbling back to the parking lot was hard, though.)

When I came home, I had my own adoring fans to greet and cheer me. Todd had made an AMAZING chocolate cake, and there were flowers on the table with a poem that Benjamin wrote for me called (appropriately) "Racing". I will make that a separate post for NPM.

I'm weary tonight, but I DID IT!!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yea! I'm so proud of you guys. And today was a hard day for it too. Ofcourse, once you've become tired, sweaty, etc...what does a little drizzle hurt. Anyway, good job!

Marcia Mickelson said...

Wow. I'm very impressed Emilia. Good for you. Hope you're not feeling it too much tomorrow. You should be very proud. I don't think I could ever do that.

Anne Marie said...

Congratulations! So impressed.

Tricia said...

You are my hero.

Heather A said...

Good for you! I have been wondering who ended up doing that race and how it went. I am glad to hear that it went well.